1945 – 2013
In the days before a synthetic track was realised in Canberra, Alan was a track official and later turned his focus to coaching. He attended multiple Pacific School Games since their beginning in 1982 as a test event for the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane. Alan coached selected ACT students and attended all the PSGs; he officiated at on the Brisbane Commonwealth Games and many more state and national athletics championships.
Alan was a longstanding member of the South Canberra Tuggeranong Athletics Club, as well as an Athletics ACT and Athletics Australia Official, who coached junior athletes involved with School Sport ACT. He was a practising Level 4 track & field coach with the AT&FCA and the ACT T&FCA; and was also their Treasurer. He was awarded a Service Merit Award from Athletics ACT.
The Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship
In May of 2018 it was brought to Athletics ACT’s attention that our organisation had become one of the beneficiaries to Alan Bishop’s memorial fund set-up and managed through ‘GreaterGood’. Each year, Athletics ACT will receive a portion of the interest earned on the capital placed in the fund.
With thanks to Alan Bishop, and in honour of his 28 years’ service to athletics, we are excited to announce the establishment of the Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship has been set-up to provide financial assistance to:
· Athletes under the age of 18 (whose families may be facing financial hardship).
· Coaches of junior athletes seeking to develop their skills through professional development.
Scholarship amount - $250 each (4 remaining for 2018/2019)
· Must be currently competing in any of the Under 14 through to the Under 18 age categories;
· Must be selected to represent Athletics ACT at an Australian Championship event (Australian All Schools, Australian Junior Championships, Australian Junior Combined Events, and/or Australian Cross Country Championships etc.);
· Must be a current financial member of Athletics ACT
· Must be in good standing with Athletics ACT
To apply for the Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship, athletes must submit, in writing, a letter to the Athletics ACT Board outlining how and why this scholarship will assist with the costs associated with representing Athletics ACT.
As there are 6 athlete scholarships on offer throughout the year, the Athletics ACT board will reserve this scholarship for those who can demonstrate financial hardship associated with representing Athletics ACT.
All submission must be made to the Athletics ACT Board via email email@example.com with the subject line: Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship. Submissions must be made no later than Monday 25th March.
Athletes will be informed of the outcome of their application within 2 weeks of applying. Scholarships will be granted at the discretion of the Athletics ACT board.
Scholarship amount - $500 (2 remaining for 2018/2019)
· Must be a current accredited and financial Athletics Australia coach in the ACT or regional NSW;
· Coaches must be actively coaching athletes under the age of 18;
Must be in good standing with Athletics ACT
· Coaches must be undertaking professional development courses or seminars with the intent to develop skills as an athletics coach; and
· Cost associated with professional development includes:
o Registration fee’s.
o Travel/accommodation costs associated with attending a course/seminar.
To apply for the Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship, coaches must submit, in writing, a letter to the Athletics ACT Board outlining how and why this scholarship will assist with the cost associated with undertaking professional development. Coaches must provide evidence of the course or seminar they wish to undertake and the athletes they are currently coaching.
All submission must be made to the Athletics ACT Board via email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Alan Bishop Memorial Scholarship.
Coaches will be informed of the outcome of their application within 2 weeks of applying. Payment of the Alan Bishop Scholarship will be made on presentation of receipts associated with approved application.