2017 Pierre de Coubertin Awards for AACT Athletes
Congratulations are extended to the following seven (7) athletes who were among school students around Australia who received the prestigious Pierre de Coubertin award for 2017.
· Mitchell Baker – Canberra High School
· Courtney Hopkins – Karabar High School
· Imogen Laing – Canberra Girls Grammar School
· Annamaria Leszczynska – UCSSC Lake Ginninderra
· Deion Pryor – Canberra Grammar School
· Keely Small – St Clare’s College
· Ruby White – Campbell High School
These athletes were among a large group of secondary students who received their awards at a reception at the AIS last week. The award recognises both academic and sporting excellence while exemplifying Olympic values. The group of ACT and regional NSW recipients (pictured) attended an ‘Olympic Academy Day’ following the presentations where a number of Olympic athletes, including hurdler Lauren Wells and boxer Shelley Watts, were on hand to present various sessions including what it takes to become an Olympian, the mental preparation, and how to balance life with training.
On behalf of all AACT members I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to these inspirational young members of our athletics community.